USDJPY to Remain Indecisive Between 108.50 and 109.50

The USDJPY closed above the 109.00 handle on Tuesday.

It’s a key level I’ve discussed several times since the pair was bouncing from 106.80 support in early October.

However, I have some concerns about the current rally.

The first is what just occurred on the weekly time frame.

USDJPY bearish engulfing week

Notice how the USDJPY price action last week engulfed the range of the previous one.

It wasn’t the most bearish close, but it still qualifies as a potentially bearish signal, in my opinion.

Tuesday’s session came close to taking out the high of that weekly candle but fell short by four pips.

You may think the weekly candle above is enough to short the USDJPY.

I would have to disagree.

A candlestick pattern alone is meaningless without considering other technical factors, especially those that could foil your plan.

More on that in a moment.

The second issue I have with the current rally is a pattern that has developed on the daily time frame.

I pointed this out last week, but the rising wedge that extends from the year-to-date low in August hints at exhaustion from buyers.

However, it’s going to take a daily close below 108.50 to confirm the pattern.

Such a close would open the door to the 106.80 key level with a break there exposing the 105.00 region.

Just keep in mind that there are no guarantees.

The weekly and daily patterns I just discussed are meaningless if the market doesn’t respect them.

This game is about listening to the market, not trying to outsmart it.

With that in mind, I’m not interested in selling the USDJPY until the pair closes below wedge support near 108.50.

I’m also not interested in buying the pair until we see a close above the wedge top near 109.50 followed by constructive price action.

I dislike the idea of buying bullish breakouts of ascending levels due to their tendency to become bull traps.

That means I would need to see more from buyers in the event of a topside break.

All in all, though, the USDJPY is one for the watchlist until we see a break below the 108.50 area or above the 109.50 region.

Want to watch the USDJPY video I just released in the member’s area?

Get a Lifetime Membership Today and receive exclusive member-only content including one to two new videos every day. Save 40% in November!

USDJPY potential rising wedge pattern

Want me to help you become a better Forex trader?

Get a lifetime membership to Daily Price Action and receive access to Justin’s full price action course, dozens of forums with over 3,000 members, daily videos of trade ideas, direct access to Justin, and much more!

Join today: https://swingtrading.dailypriceaction.com/lifetime-membership

Save 40% off a lifetime membership in November!

Minh says

Cảm ơn thầy,tôi sẽ để mắt đến khu vực này

ali says

Thanks for the update sir justin.

You’re welcome.

The Kid says

WEEKLY TF: – (Bullish) Macd has gone flat to rising and RSI pointing up with more in the tank for upward action i.e not overbought. However Ma 14 is rising to converge toward cross over on the Ma50. Trend lines show we are moving in a sideways wedge since June 2016 with price action biased toward moving up to the top trend line at (10.403). (Bearish) double top on the stochastics, MAs are going sideways since 16/10/19. Summary, I see near term more sideways action with a slight fall based on stochastics then a test of the (108.3) support off lower weekly trend line. DAILY TF:- (Bullish) Price has moved through 200 MA and Macd is in positive territory. Stochastics are still moving up. (Bearish) RSI is turning over today (but not yet overbought). OUTCOME: Indecisiveness as we have so much conflicting indicators and MA sideway action precipitates this. Look to trade on the 4HR TF for better entry on an oversold stochastic condition (potentially tomorrow) around the (108.7) and tight stop to spec it up to the 110.4 level.

ade says

seems complicated from what I can surmise from your dialogue.
    I will stick with what coach Justin mentioned much easier to understand and digest.

Phil says

Wow man, how often do you trade ?

As often as the market allows. It’s the failure to recognize favorable and unfavorable market cycles and the discipline to act accordingly that keeps most retail traders broke.

Ankur says

Hey Justin, great analysis as always. Sellers should ideally wait for price to breach the trend line just below 108.50 for confirmation of bearish bias. Thoughts? ….and my first post done 🙂

Price breaching an area doesn’t confirm a break, at least not for me. I need to see a daily close beyond the area in question.

Prashant says

was waitng for 109.36 breach intraday .. can see its importance as last few times stopped at 109.25 area. difficult to say how low it can go .. mayb 108.x but overall looks like 112.x more likely now .. goes in line with overall risk trends and us 10y rates. patience is key!